Sunday, August 19, 2012

Temple Fork Sawmill Trail

 I felt so ripped off when we got there! I was expecting to see a big sawmill that we could walk into. The only thing still standing on the site is what is seen pictured behind me and Taj and a few other odds and ends strewn across the ground. That hike was not easy and I have no idea how those people hauled lumber in and out of there, ESPECIALLY in the winter time! I told Brannon, "I'm pioneer stock in spirit, but definitely NOT in body!" The lumber was for the Logan Temple. We read that the hike we did took pioneer women one full day in the winter time to go see their husbands. Yikes! I'm so thankful for modern conveniences!

 Good thing the scenery was pretty while we hike or I really would have been a big whiner.

 This was taken on our way back out. As you can tell, Haivi was SO done with hiking!
You see the mileage for the sawmill site on the sign? That is ONE way. That is ONE way in 93 degree weather carrying either a 32 lb toddler or a 20 lb baby and/or a backpack FULL of water bottles, Sobe Life Water, Vitamin Water, diapers, wipees, and a camera. We faced obstacles such as large, feathery, buggy bushes taller than me covering the trail (the sign should have said "Whatever you do, take a machete!). We we didn't have a machete and as I was hacking my way through the bushes not only did I have all sorts of bugs jumping on me, but I froze mid-step when I heard a loud whirring sound. It sounded like a hovercraft coming in for a landing and not until it got even louder, did I see it, a great BIG BIG BIG flying black beetle thing with a wingspan the size of my head coming in for a landing right on my forehead. Well it landed. A loud scream, scuffle, and much flying of dust and dirt later, I emerged victorious from those overgrown, bug-infested bushes. Who knew flying beetles could be such great motivation? We also faced hundreds and hundreds of "scawwy gwasshoppuhs" Those things kept both Taj and I skipping and jigging the two step down the trail. I think there must be some kind of signal I give off that only bugs can read that tells them I don't like them, so why not gang up on me? Those grasshoppers followed us the whole way in and the whole  way back. We hiked almost 6 1/2 miles and it took us FOREVER! It took us almost three hours! Taj enjoyed it for about the first 10 minutes and then he wanted to be carried the rest of the way. Haivi lasted on the way in and the whole way back she cried. I wanted to cry too. It took everything in me to shuffle one dusty foot in front of the other and move my out of shape self down the trail. When the truck finally came back into view, it was all I could do to not cry out for joy, for civilization! Brannon rewarded our efforts with Mexican food for dinner. Well, I should say he rewarded me. I'm the Mexican food lover in our family. Brannon likes it too, but I could eat it every day, no problem. Love those rice and beans! Anyway, even though it was a super hot and super hard hike, I bet it will be one of those memories that we think back fondly on someday. We will not however be frequenting that trail anytime soon, at least not until the kids are old enough and strong enough to walk on their own!

No comments: